Sunday, January 24, 2016



Backwards Mapping: American History
Unit Introduction: Explore History
 (10th Grade, Special Education ILS Self Contained Class)

CCSS ELA-Literacy.RH.9-10.4
Determine the meaning of the words and phrases as they are used in a text, including vocabulary describing political social or economic aspects of history/social science.

I chose to use this standard because it focuses on the students being able to understand the text, and the words within the text. When teaching a Special education class I have to scaffold the information so that the students really understand the meaning of the lesson and its importance. I want the students to demonstrate their understanding of United States history by learning the meaning of words and phrases as they relate to social and economic issues. Thus students will be able to identify and explain events during a specific time period because of their understanding specific vocabulary and phrases.

All lessons for my class are modified to accommodate the students learning needs and abilities. Student differentiation includes but is not limited to:
            - enlarged print
            -color printed activities
            -voice recorders
            -matching activities
            - picture cues

Student Proficiencies:
1.      Given the definition of a word the students will be able to identify the word.
2.      Using a United States map students will be able to identify and explain where Native Americans lived.
3.      Students will be able to identify what natural resources are. Students will also compare how Native Americans (Early Years) used natural resources to make a living versus todays American and the ways natural resources are used.
Assessments
1.      Students will be given daily EXIT SLIPS. The Exit Slips will have 3-4 questions about the days lesson to see is the retained the information. Students will get at least 80% or higher on their Exit Slip. If the students gets below an 80% I will briefly meet with the student to see what their challenges are. Based on the students challenge I will determine what part of the lesson needs to be reviewed, or modified so that they student is benefiting and learning from the instruction.
2.      Before getting into Lesson 1: Native Americans I will give the students an introductory lesson on American History. We will discuss the following:
-          What is History?
-          What is a historian?
-          Tools: (Artwork, Collage, Document, Graph, Map, Photo, Timeline, Video and others)
This introductory lesson will be used as a continuous guide for the students throughout the American History curriculum. This will introduce students to the importance of history and why it is important to understand history. It will also address the basic foundational skills they will need in order to matriculate through the curriculum. The introductory unit will also have a pre and post-test to see what knowledge and skills the students already have and what they need to improve on. Based on the results from the introduction post-test I will modify the upcoming lessons so that they are addressing those skills the students need to improve on.
3.      Before I begin Lesson 1 on Native Americans the students will be given a Pre-test to see what they know about the current topic. My introductory lesson will still go as planned however, once the pre-test are graded I will modify the Native American lesson so that it correlates with what the student already know and what they do not know.
4.      At the end of the Native American lesson I will give student a Post-Test. The post-test will be very similar to the pre-test. Students will get at least 80% or higher on their post-test. For the students that do not get at least a 80% of higher, I will have a one on one with them to see what their challenges were in understanding the lesson, or the materials. If the reasoning is based on their inability to process and apply the information learned from the lesson I will modify the questions and give an oral assessment. However, if the student receives a low grade because he/she did not study then they will be graded accordingly.  
Learning Experiences
1.      Field trip to the National American History Museum
2.      Field trip to Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library
3.      Students will be divided into groups of 3 to create a diorama of Native American Tribe.



No comments:

Post a Comment